Friday, April 6, 2012

Now that's a Woman!

So, this blog is slowly evolving, but I decided that I think I have ranted and raged enough about the media and how it messes us up. It skews our perspective on what is important about love and human beings or even just life in general. So, I have decided to feature some of the most powerful mothers who have inspired me in my life. When I hear mom's complain about their bodies, it breaks my heart because a child could care less about what their mom's body looks like. They love their mom's purely and innocently and love doing all they can to make their mom happy. A mother's love changes the world and yet so many mothers are spending too much time worrying about their bodies. I don't know about you, but I have never heard of a flat stomach changing the world. Not even just changing the world but have you ever heard a child say, I love my mom because she doesn't have flabby arms. All the other mom's have flabby arms, but my mom. She is flab free! HA! ya right. Why not? Because none of that crap matters to those in life that truly matter.


This is my mom.
She is such an amazing woman. Let me tell you why. My mom is one of the sweetest people that I know, but she is also one of the strongest woman I know. She is what you would call sweet and spicy. I think what i love most about my mom is how real she is. She is super authentic and NEVER and I mean NEVER pretends to be what she is not. Because she is like this, I think she unintentionally allows others to be their authentic selves.

Our home growing up was a place where guests became part of the family. Her attitude is "I am going to not make you feel like you are home by say "make yourself at home" in a sweet voice but rather, you are just as welcome in our home as any other and if you want to feel like you are at home then you will be treated that way. I have never seen my mom offer a glass of water or give a polite laugh. She just lets the guest walk into the pantry if they are hungry and always gives them a bed to sleep in. TRUST ME! I have done my time sleeping on the couch so that a guest could feel at home in a bed.

Another thing I absolutely adore about my mom is how much she loves children. We tease her because she already has a little play station for her future grand children and this was before any of us were even seriously dating someone! If you were to see my mom at church you would most likely see her with someone's baby. What I love most about this is that I got to follow her example! Because of her example, all of her children are very kind to children.

My mom is super tough and she raised us to be tough as well. (I think I have become more wussy over the years since being away from her though). She would physically work side by side with my dad on the house or in the yard and never ever complained about something being too hard. I know my Dad appreciates her for that too.

Another one of my favourite things about my mom that I will forever cherish is her ability to instill confidence in others. I can honestly say that my mom has NEVER doubted me. If I believed that I could do something, she believed in me too. And, if I didn't believe I could do something, she would believe in me anyways. I know that a lot of my success in life comes from my mom encouraging me to do hard things. I graduated when I was 17 and she encouraged me to move out and get experience living on my own. She told me "there are more important things than money." Without her teaching me that, I am confident that I would not have had the courage to move to another country knowing no one. She then gets the credit for me finding the man of my dreams! Even when we were learning how to walk or swim she would let us struggle a little knowing that it was good for us. She reminds me of God in this way because God loves us so much that he lets us struggle because he knows that it is for our own good. My mom does not try to "protect me" from pain or failure. Even in dating when I would get scared to invest myself, she would say. "Sherry what is the worst that can happen? You will get your heart broken. Whoopie. You have been through that before and you know you can get through it."

Another example is how I wanted to be a gymnast when I was little. I would take off all of the pillows from the couch and throw myself backwards until I learned how to do a backflip. Recently I asked her how that did not freak her out and why she did not tell me to stop because I could break my neck. She responded with, I just knew you could do it.

One last example was a couple of winters ago when we were skiidoing. There was a steep mountain that I was afraid to climb, because it was well..steep and the trail was narrow. I knew I would have to go at a high speed to get up and steer really well. Then my mom was like (as she was sitting on the back) "You should go up the mountain!" I responded with "really? It looks scary." She said calmly and firmly "Ya you can do it!" and almost made me feel silly that I ever even doubted myself. Her belief in me (especially considering she was on the skiido with me) gave me the courage to do it and I did! And it was so fun!

Another thing that I love about my mom is that she is disciplined. When my mom decides that she is going to do something, she does it. She used to drink and smoke and did not go to church, but after she got married she knew that if she was going to have kids, she was going to raise them in a positive home. So, literally she stopped drinking and smoking all at once. No relapse, no patch, no alcoholics anonymous, nothing. She has a very powerful drive and mind. When she wants something, there is no question about it.

Man I could go on and on , so I will. Another thing that is great about my mom is that she is an amazing homemaker. I grew up in a home that was ALWAYS clean. Well...we would mess it up, so I guess that is a lie, but everyday she would pick up after us. She also ALWAYS had a meal for us. I can only remember a very few times that we ever ate out. What is even more amazing about this is that my mom hates cooking!! ha ha. Isn't that amazing that a woman can make her family a meal everyday and not like doing it!

My mom has always been my best friend. We have so much fun together. We have went on trips together, ran races together, and of course we have done lots of shopping together. I remember when I was in track she used to call me her leach because I would not leave her side. She would say, oh one day when you are teenager you are going to want to hang out with your friends over me. I remember thinking...no I really don't think it will. It didn't. I did hang out with my friends sometimes, but I always preferred to be with her. I think I hung out with my friends because I was supposed to. That is one of the reasons why I have moved so far away from home. When I am near her, I don't feel like I need other friends. My family are my best friends.

If you know my mom, you would agree that she is a hoot. She is so playful. She says "people say I act like a teenager, but I say that as long as I getting zits I can act like one." ha ha .. so funny. Here is some evidence of that. We went on a trip to Quebec and we discovered the power of the hand dryers... so this is what we did.


Finally another reason why my mom is amazing is because she loves me. She showed this last weekend when she surprised me by driving 17 hours south to come to my bridal shower. It was so sweet. She brought my younger sister with her too. What a sacrifice. I am convinced that there is nothing more godlike that a woman can do than be a mother. Even if one does not have kids, we can be a mother to the children around us and aren't we all children? I am so grateful for the selfless Love that my mom gave me. She was and is not perfect. No one is, however, she was, is and always will be the perfect mom for me. I sincerely hope and pray that one day I can be like her.

I love you Mommy!
Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment