Monday, March 5, 2012

Who are you??

So, I was thinking this morning about my life and how I have gotten to where I am today. I am very grateful for my life. I am engaged to an amazing man who loves me for who I really am. It has been a long and painful search to find such an amazing man, but I feel so blessed to have been given the time to do what I have done in my single life. I am finishing my university degree, I have got to travel, I have experienced different professions including a fleet administrator, hairstylist, cake decorator, makeup artist, secretary, sales associate, teacher assistant and science camp counselor. I have recorded music, I have danced in a music video, I have run a marathon, won a triathlon in new york, I have become fluent in French, and what I value most is all of the amazing people that I have met along the way. There are soooo many amazing people in this world who have helped shape my life. However, despite all of my accomplishments and experiences, Sherry is no more important than she was before.
Through my experiences, I have come to understand who Sherry is. There was a time when Sherry was known for always winning. As a child I felt soooo much pressure to win in athletics. I had a reputation to uphold. I loved sports and I still do, in fact I enjoy them much more today because my performance does not define me. The core of Sherry stays the same, whether she is fat or thin, strong or weak, fast or slow, graceful or clumsy, unique or regular. I am not what I look like. I am not what I do. Sure, those are parts of me, but I am just as much what I do as I am my... I don't know...my nose. It is just a part of me. It makes up a large whole. I am a package deal.

You see, there is a danger in defining yourself with things that can change. For example, if you feel like you are your hot body building body, what happens when you are pregnant, or you get old, or you get stuck in a house fire an become a burn victim! What happens when the body you had is no longer what it was. Have you lost who you are? NO! We must define ourselves with something that is impossible to change. So, what is that? In this world of change, the only thing that does not change is your worth. Think of a 5 dollar bill. Whether the bill is brand new or 10 years old, its worth remains the same. It does not matter if there are pen marks on it, or if it is all wrinkly. The worth of that bill is inherent and unchangeable. That is how we are as children of God. All humans on this earth, no matter what color, nationality, gender, level of intelligence, social status, attractiveness, or talent are created equal. No matter how much you shine up a coin, its worth will be the same. There is NOTHING we can do to change our worth. We did not determine it and we have no power to change it. I believe this with all my heart. This means that the beggar on the street who got there because of his addiction to drugs is as valuable in the eyes of God as Mother Theresa. And lets say that beggar cleaned up his life and became successful, would he be more important? In the eyes of the world, absolutely. Not in the eyes of God. If Mother Theresa became a thief, would God love her less? NO!

I don't see anyone ironing their money to make it look real nice hoping they may be able to buy a little more with it. Why? The world understands that the value of money is un changeable. If only the world saw that in humans. Then, we would not spend so much energy trying to "be somebody". The fact that you are you makes you a somebody.

So, then if what we do or what we look like does not change our worth, where does the motivation come to do well in life? Our motivation comes from love. Love for you, love for your neighbour, love for God.

Those are my thoughts.
I Love you Daddy!
Sherry

5 comments:

  1. Amen, sister! Thanks for posting this on Facebook. It made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts Sherry! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fantastic Sherry! What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sherry! I have also come to realize this, as I used to be hot-body, super athletic, etc. But, as you said, pregnancies, staying home with babies, sitting in front of a student or a computer for lots of years has changed my physical look - but I am who I am, even though I am now faced with fixing a neglected body. Thank you for your commentary, your insights, and you courage to speak up! It helps you - it helps me - it helps all of us who are lucky enough to read your blog!

    Great post - keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading your posts Sherry! I appreciate your honesty. You are such a sweet heart. So happy you found an amazing man too! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete